23 May, 2011

The King's Speech


I have just watched The King's Speech, and I have to say it is very deserving of all its Academy Awards. I found it to be a very amusing film, as well as a very touching one. The male lead, played by Colin Firth, was portrayed beautifully, he was very professional and you could see quite clearly that he had studied this speech impediment. I would rate this film as one of my favourites this year, however, I don't like to rate it against other films, purely because all films are different, even sequels. The roles played by Geoffrey Rush and Helena Bonham Carter were also played beautifully. Carter played the role or our Queen Mother with grace, and even the little girls who played Princess Margaret and Queen Elizabeth II were remarkable. This film is something that we can look to and be proud to be English. People can relate to this film on many different levels and I feel that the way it was portrayed helps this. In a time of struggle, King George VI prevailed and conquered his speech impediment and addressed the nation, to inform them of the troubles that lay ahead.

This film is one that I would suggest to anyone, and one that I dare say I will watch again.